Say Hello to - Ellymental Jewellery

Vintage Kitsch Dragon Fly Necklace

Ellymental Jewellery

This week we say hello to the very talented Elly Englefield-Morgans, British jewellery designer-maker and founder of Ellymental Jewellery.

"EllyMental vintage styled kitsch jewellery is designed and made by Elly who is inspired by designs based on her own fervent interest in kitsch nostalgia and animals. She incorporates her designs with found ephemera and delicate home-made papers. Items are multi-layered and multi-varnished to create a strong and robust end piece. All items are lovingly and meticulously hand crafted"

How did your jewellery making and design business start?


I started making jewellery full time in April 2011 - before then I had been doing it part time whilst working another job which I was able to quit once I was making enough money making the jewellery. My background is in textile design & practise so jewellery making was a natural progression and I made my first owl necklace after somebody told me my designs would make nice pieces of jewellery and I decided they were probably right!
Vintage Styled Kitsch Owl Necklace
Vintage Styled Kitsch Owl Necklace

Allen Ginsberg Brooch (Beat Generation Poet)
Allen Ginsberg Brooch (Beat Generation Poet)

Your work has a very particular style, where do you take your inspiration from?

My inspiration comes from what I like; animals and books and a vintage appearance. I regularly go to the book town Hay on Wye and get old books to use in my work and my dogs have featured as brooches.
Kitsch Swallow Necklace 'Lover's tale'
Kitsch Swallow Necklace 'Lover's tale'

Does paper jewellery last? How should we look after it?

Yes it does last, I have even put it through the wash and it has come out fine, although this isn't recommended! It is also thickly layered and compressed with metal so this also makes it more robust. I have experimented with various varnishes over time and I have settled on a good couple that I use to protect the paper. For longevity it is best to wipe clean only and avoid using harsh chemicals or hairspray near it as this could take the sheen off a bit if exposed a lot.
The Queen Bee Necklace
The Queen Bee Necklace


Will you be producing any new ranges soon, what do you have planned for the future?


I produce new items on a monthly basis and I am currently working on a range based on A Midsummer Nights Dream. After that I will be doing a writer range using my drawings of my favourite writers mixed with their books. So far I am thing George Orwell, Charles Dickens, Jack Kerouac, Sylvia Plath and I have already completed an Allen Ginsberg brooch by request. I also do wedding commissions whereby I take details such as names, dates, lyrics and incorporate them into designs for necklaces, cufflinks etc for the couples special day or as a keepsake.

Varnished Paper Fish Earrings
Varnished Paper Fish Earrings

If you love this unique, handmade ( and delighfully kitsch) jewellery, visit Elly's shop at Notmassproduced.com  - Ellymental Jewellery

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts...